Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Day 23: In review

It's only Day 23 (technically yesterday was Day 23) but I've already decided that this experiment has not worked as planned. My day job is getting done, albeit at a slow and disappointing pace. Things are flat at the office and while there's work to be done, no one really feels inclined to power on through it. I think it's a function of what we do, in that when Parliament sits we're at the beck and call of our political masters and when it doesn't, we hit a slump as the urgency fades away and the adrenaline wears off.


On the upside, I have far less filing to complete compared to Day 1, so there have been some benefits.


It's the tasks around the house that have left me the most despondent with my progress. I started off with some great mental motivation but that didn't last long. There are many tasks floating around in the back of my mind that I have left uncompleted and there are probably some that are even unacknowledged. The only substantial thing I did achieve was to clean up my desk in our study. However, that was a couple of weeks ago and I've fed off that achievement for far too long.


Ideas are starting to coalesce in my mind about where I went wrong. My immediate thoughts are that I lacked structure and planning. I also don't think I was fully committed to it, although I thought I was. Being sick for a week in the middle of it didn't help either.


As for what I actually achieved on Day 23, there's not much to say. My day to day work moved along with nothing getting finished but at least with nothing left behind or ignored. Filing, briefings, general paperwork - all in motion. At home, I began backing up a couple of DVD home videos of the boy so that we can reuse the DVDs in the camera. That took far longer than I expected and thinking about it right now, I think it was because I forgot to reset the power settings of the laptop from Power Saver to Full Power. D'oh.

No comments: