Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Day 16: The Slump

I've hit a motivation crisis a little sooner than I was hoping. Actually, I figured I could keep myself motivated for a measly 30 days. Apparently, not so much.

Work is patchy at the moment. I have found from experience that if work is busy, it is easier for me to keep motivated and organised. When work comes in spurts, it is all too easy to drift along and get sidetracked on unimportant things.

Today I futzed around far too much. I'm not happy and I'm not impressed. I started a bunch of things and upon reflection, I don't think I actually finished anything at all. Bother. That makes this day something of a failure. Again.

Football training got called off tonight due to wet weather. This is a good thing which means I get to sit at home and spend time with my lovely wife (the computer gets turned off very soon).

Probably not much will get done tonight given it's my birthday. Yay. Here's a picture of the orange and poppy seed cake I baked for my birthday and took to work.

My orange and poppy seed birthday cake


My workplace has the tradition where if it is your birthday, you bring a cake. This way, you are not constantly chipping in for birthday cakes for other people. It works out easiest for everyone and is something that makes perfect sense to me.

Maybe I'll do some more shredding tonight. That seems to be my fall back, when all else fails option.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday chief.

forget the goals tonight - only one is important - enjoy you-time with family.

The goals will come.. think of it like exercise. You can't just throw yourself into it on the first day, or even first week - you'll end up with a torn muscle or at the very least, buggered the next couple of days.

Any change in life whether mental, environmental or physical is best eased into, especially it if breaks a long habit.

we're trying to get fit again - we may look fit but we haven't really done anything lately and that's starting to affect all sorts of things: moods, sleeping patterns, energy to cook a decent dinner.

Something as simple as going for a walk at lunch instead of eating at our desk was an achievable baby-step that made us feel better from day 1. On the weekend we managed our first bike ride in over 6 months (i know for you guys that would be amazing, but we have no child and thus no excuse)

There's days when you're flat out at work and don't get time for that lunch walk. Today I threw down my keyboard (metaphorically) and took the walk at 3pm.

A little guilt is good if it helps you be better next time. A lot of guilt doesn't help at all - far better to say 'oh well'.

smp said...

I shredded. The boy was asleep, H. was knitting (the latest trend around the world, it would seem) and I wanted my huge pile of "To Shred" to get just a little bit smaller. Everyone was happy.

Glass of merlot helped, too :)

The Mumma said...

Hey, I don't knit because it's trendy!

smp said...

I'm not saying you knit because it is trendy, I'm merely commenting that your knitting forms part of a broader cultural movement amongst young people to revive the "lost arts" of useful crafts. Knitting is increasingly popular again (for many reasons).

I'm glad you are part of this trend. My scarf rocks!

Lenina said...

Happy late birthday! That looks like an... interesting cake.
And mumma, I tried knitting, but found crocheting much more enjoyable. And faster. I'm mocked and called an old woman. But all my "friends" want a blankie.

smp said...

Thank you. The cake is only a cake mix cake but it's very very very delish.

My Nan crocheted me a blanket in the pattern of her family's tartan. It's far warmer than it looks and it has the added sentimental value that I remember her every time I use it.

My sister does cross-stitch so I guess craft surrounds me but never quite reached me.