Wednesday, October 25, 2006

New Shoes

Last Friday I bought new shoes.

This may not seem like a monumental and earth shattering activity for normal people but as a quick perusal of this blog would demonstrate, normality is not my "thing". My recently departed shoes (actually they're sitting in the kitchen waiting for me to remember to remove the shoe laces and then dump them in the industrial bin) had a small hole over the left big toe (I have no idea how it got there but the leather just got thin I guess) and the sole of the right shoe had begun separating from the upper, leaving a gaping chasm where, if it ever rained here, water could seep in when splashing in puddles. My shoes have been in this condition for about 3 months, which is a conservative estimate.

I last bought new dress shoes for wearing to work in the months leading up to my wedding (which was in July '03). I had had those shoes since 1999. They replaced shoes that I had for seven years. I had got those shoes at the beginning of Grade 11 and only replaced them after I slipped over in the kitchen of the restaurant where I managed the bar and fractured my elbow. They had already been re-soled once and I didn't see the value in doing it again as the soles wouldn't be non-slip (nor were the new shoes for that matter - curse you lying sales assistant at Colorado, Myer Centre!)

I don't replace shoes very often, although football boots is another matter (if they last two seasons, I've done well).

I don't have much of a point here except to say I like my new shoes. Comfy. Shiny. Leathery.

I wonder if I can break double figures with these ones...

4 comments:

Lenina said...

I still have shoes from 5th grade. Yes, my feet have not grown since then. Neither have I. I have trouble finding ones that are small enough, yet wide enough, so when I do find a pair, I hold on with a death grip.
Enjoy your new shoes!

smp said...

Either you were huge in 5th grade, or you're not that tall now (although judging by the recent photos, you're probably average height). I stopped growing at about 16 with 1/4" to go until I reached 6 foot. It still bugs me that I'll only ever be 6 foot in shoes.

And yes, I am enjoying my new shoes. Shiny!

Lenina said...

Well, if you're willing to go through the pain, they can break your legs and allow you to grow those extra 1/4".
In fifth grade, I was the tallest girl, at five feet even. At twenty-one, I'm one of the shortest girls at five feet even. Lol.

smp said...

I'll just go the Tom Cruise route and put lifts in my shoes. Oh, and abuse couches, but to be honest I did that already.

My wife is 1/2 inch over 5 feet and I think she stopped growing at 14 (Grade 9). Apparently being short and female has its benefits like never having to reach for the high shelf if there's a male around to bat eyelids at (I've seen this in action - highly effective and a highly recommended technique).