Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Creative void

How do people manage to be creative and still live the 9 to 5 life?

When I get home after work, I can barely find the energy to feed myself, yet alone spend precious mental energy doing anything creative, whether it be writing, composing, playing my guitar or even free form day dreaming.

Admittedly, I'm probably burning my mental and physical reserves pretty low right now, between work and study and a lad who has decided that, at nearly 6 months of age, sleeping through the night is for little babies and since he's a big baby now, he'll wake up and scream when he wants to, but still...

Two things of interest:
  1. - tools, techniques, methods on all matters creative. It fits well with my renewed interest in lifehacks and when I've got some time to breathe again, I'll see if I can combine this with some of the things I'm learning off .
  2. - great, more hard work. Woo.

Maybe I'm just stretched too thin to create right now. I can feel the creative burn, but the flame is so faint and struggling for oxygen that sometimes I'm scared it won't come back. Ever.

Perhaps what I really need to do is to just go to bed.

Good night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. I can still muster energy even when I stay late at work, but the moment I'm home, I totally fall apart. It must be the mentality or something.

smp said...

I think it has a lot to do with being in the right mental space for it. In my opinion, if it is there, creativity will out in the end (and I believe everyone can be creative if they want to be). You just need to leave enough space and fuel for it to nurture and grow.

This is something I look forward to doing over the summer now that my studies are finished for the year.