Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Non-photo #1

A common Canberra bus shelter is a cylinder for concrete with a large opening (about one third of the cylinder) as an entrance and a hole in one side as a window (so you can see oncoming buses). The roof is flat, solid and generally grimy and slimy with algae (I’m sure following a nuclear armageddon the only survivors would be algae and the cockroaches that eat it). The roof bus shelter has to be at lest 3 metres (9-10 feet) off the ground.

This particular bus shelter is on a well-trafficked road (Constitution Ave in Reid if anyone is local). It sits underneath a collection of dead-looking trees as it’s winter and all the leaves dropped months ago. It also sits outside a tech college.

One tree stands directly above the shelter, its lifeless branches forming a substantial fork about 2 metres or so (6-7 feet) above the roof of the shelter. Firmly nestled in the cold embrace of the barren fork rests a shopping trolley, empty and alone.

The sheer effort and ingenuity to haul a shopping trolley 3 metres off the ground, and then wedge it into fork of a tree that is at least another 2 metres off the ground, all the while standing on a filthy and dangerously slippery and slimy surface, simply astounds me. I hope it was worth it.

Unfortunately, I didn’t have a camera on me when I saw this slice of human endeavour while staring out the window during my morning bus commute. Some things just need to be acknowledged or recognised whichever way you can.

3 comments:

Stacey said...

LOL Bugger you didn't have the camera... some people must be really bored. LOL

Anonymous said...

meh, it's canberra. What are the kids to do but get stoned and drag shopping trolleys up trees?

smp said...

*slap jacob*

There's plenty to do...rent hard core movies at Fyshwick, or blow stuff up with fireworks or perhaps (and here's something I don't think many of them have tried) stop being whiny little losers and go outside and kick a ball around or something.

But if they're going to do that, they'd better stay the hell off my lawn...

I wish I could pinpoint the exact date I become a cranky old man, particularly as I'm at least 20 years too young to be one *sigh*