Friday, July 28, 2006

And we're back

If you can forgive just one more geek out.

My computer problems appear to have been an aging CPU, which was an AMD AthlonXP 1800+ (Palomino core). Very much old technology, although it was top of the range for about 2 weeks when I bought it in late 2001.

Tonight I installed a new AMD Sempron 2500+ (Socket A, not Socket 754). This is also very much old technology, but it's absolutely smoking my old CPU, not to mention that it's running at least 10° cooler, notwithstanding the Vantec cooler I bought last week as well.

Aw.

Yeah.

The real test will be how well this boots up tomorrow, but I've got a good feeling about this bad boy. A really good feeling.

Also, much love goes out to Stonebridge Computing, where I purchased this new little lovely. The Express Post parcel, which guarantees overnight delivery did not arrive yesterday as it should have. I let Stonebridge know (mainly so that they could claim their money back from Australia Post because they broke their guarantee), but they were also suitably concerned that the parcel arrive to me. They also began making arrangements to hold my parcel to one side if it ended up being returned to sender.

Thank you Stonebridge. Your concern (and the fact that you actually had some Socket A chips in stock!) means that you guys will become one of the first places I check online when looking to order stuff.

No comments: