Thursday, May 11, 2006

It burns, it burns!

Installed the DVD "Superwrite" (which means it burns ±R, ±RW and does ± dual layer) this afternoon. There was much cursing as I destroyed the heads of 4 screws (even with WD40 the damn things wouldn't turn without a lot of effort) but I eventually took out my old LG CD-RW drive and threw the new Lite-on one in.

A quick test of the new Nero software (I own the full version of 5.5 but the OEM of 6 that came with the burner craps all over that!) by transcoding the latest DL.TV episode from MPEG4 to Super VCD and a test burn on a new ultra speed blank CD-RW media and I'm now a happy little camper.

I just love upgrading stuff! Next on the agenda is a new hard drive to give me some more space (duh) as well as a chance to have another crack at dual booting Linux. I'm thinking Ubuntu as I've heard from a number of sources that it is particularly newbie friendly, but I'm always open to suggestions from people who know better.

-s
(geeking out when he should be doing his Java assignment)

No comments: