Sunday, November 05, 2006

And then there was none...

It is done.

The final assignment has been submitted electronically.

I've had headaches, a continually sore throat, constantly dripping sinuses, hacked up my lungs on a number of occasions and slept on the lounge the entire week so I don't keep my wife awake with my coughing, but I did it.  I don't think the marks will be good enough to make it a clean sweep of High Distinctions for my Grad Certificate (there were some intricacies of Open Office Base that I couldn't quite work out and to be honest, I'm not sure if it's me or the software), but quite frankly right now I could not physically care any less.  It is done and it will just have to do.  I only need 12 or 13 out of 25 to claim a Distinction and I'm almost certain to get at least that many marks.

So, it's off to the doctor again tomorrow because apparently I should be much better by now, and then after some more sleep, life will return to a semblance of normality.

yay.


powered by performancing firefox

6 comments:

Lenina said...

I'm glad you're getting back to normal, and I hope the doctors give you some excellent prescriptions to knock out that sickness.

On an unrelated note, I just noticed you've read American Gods. Isn't Neil Gaiman just stellar? I love his stuff.

smp said...

Antibiotics duly prescribed for what now appears to be bacterial bronchitis. I have had some blood tests to rule out some other things like adult whooping cough, but they're less likey.

Neil Gaiman is indeed stellar. I'm a late convert (about 18 months ago) but I find his writing extraordinarily original, especially his short story anthologies. Stardust remains the fairy tale I wish someone had read to me when I was little.

Oh, and post-Christmas I'm definitely picking up the first volume of the Absolute Sandman collection. I figure no better time than now to jump into the Sandman world.

Lenina said...

The first one I read was Neverwhere. And all because a boy I liked was reading it. And I shamelessly wanted his attention. But once I read it, I forgot all about my previous intentions and began devouring everything by Gaiman I could. He's one of the writers I aspire to be.

I sincerely hope you don't have whooping cough. I'm waiting for my sinuses to close up with infection like they do every year about this time. At least it keeps me from pigging out at the Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner tables. Feel better soon!

smp said...

I read my first Neil Gaiman book back before I even knew who he was. It turned out to be the rare "Ghastly Beyond Belief..." that he wrote with Kim Newman, which is essentially a collection of bad quotes, blurbs, prose, movie titles etc and is very cheesy and very funny. I then read Good Omens, but that was because I'm a huge Terry Pratchett fan. The first Gaiman book I meant to read was American Gods and I still think it's his best novel. I find his strength is finding dark twists on familiar themes. Apparently, one of his sources of inspiration is this classic encyclopedia of fairy tales. I'm not surprised, because fairy tales are dark little pieces of beauty.

If I was a writer (and I wish I was), I would want to be like him, too (and if you don't read this already (and I'm sure you do) - http://www.neilgaiman.com/journal - it's one of my rss feeds).

I don't think I have whooping cough but the doctor wants to rule it out because whooping cough and 6 month old babies don't mix. However, I figure that if I had it he would have it by now as well, so I'm not too worried. Yet.

Lenina said...

I had the croop one year when I was almost a year old. My dad took me to the doctor, then called my mom to tell him the diagnosis. Except, he told the poor woman I had whooping cough. She was crying and sobbing and he could not figure out why.
And thanks for that link...

The Mumma said...

I first heard of Neil Gaiman through the constant references to "Neil" in Tori Amos songs. Didn't read any of his work until smp gave me one to read.