Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Book learnin'

Being back at uni part time while working full time and raising a brand new bundle of joy is proving difficult but worth it. So far in my introduction to programming course, I've averaged 97.5% for my first two assignments (which are worth 12% each). In my introduction to telecommunications subject, I got 25/25 for my first assignment (25%) and 29/30 for the first exam (14.625% out of 15%).

If I keep this up, in three to four years, I'll be the proud owner of a coursework Masters in IT from ADFA. W00t.

-s

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you've finally decided to embrace your inner geek have you? Bu tcan I ask, why are you embracing him through ADFA?

smp said...

A number of reasons, some more practical than others :D

I didn't want to study by distance because I knew that with Elijah on the way, I would need the motivation of turning up to classes.

ANU doesn't offer a coursework Masters for non-IT graduates. Uni of Canberra offers a 2 year f/t c/work Masters in Technology, but you have to do a third year if you want to get an M.IT. ADFA offers a Grad Cert for non-IT grads, which allows you to then articulate into the IT grad stream for the c/work Masters.

Also, ADFA has some pretty funky looking defence related subjects on offer, like Satellite communications, and at this stage my aim is to get involved in the security (and maybe sigint) side of things. Hooking a ride with the military industrial complex appeals to me...

It's a long way to go, but I'm enjoying it so far (even if my two subjects are Intro to telecoms and an Intro to Programming subject built around Java).